Home Heating Safety: Space Heaters
The U.S. Fire Administration documents that heating is the second leading cause of fires in homes. Here are a few pointers when adding heat to your home through the use of space heaters:
- Make sure your heater has been tested by a recognized testing laboratory.
- Your space heater should have an automatic shut off in the event it tips over.
- Be sure to place space heaters on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Do not leave heaters turned on when leaving or going to sleep.
- Do not leave any items that could potentially burn near the heater. Make sure nothing is within 3 feet of the heater.
- Do not plug anything else into the same circuit as the one used to power the space heater. Overheating may occur.
- Do not plug the space heater into a power strip or extension cord. Plug heater directly into an outlet.
Be sure to utilize these safety tips whenever using an electric space heater. For more info, be sure to check out the U.S. Fire Administration online!