Recent Storm Damage Posts
Ready For Whatever Happens
When the storm is a major event, you need more comprehensive restoration support!
SERVPRO of Lompoc is "Ready for whatever happens."
SERVPRO has mobilization teams across the country to travel as needed to support recovery after large storm events. Need a few hundred of our crews for a month? Only SERVPRO can make it happen!
When localized storms overwhelm local restoration companies, SERVPRO's storm response helps to manage the volume you need served.
Because SERVPRO has answered calls for help in storm situations over the years we have developed a specialized storm team and large loss response network to provide the resources you need - management, crews and equipment to get service to your property when others cannot.
That's why when disaster strikes, so do we!
COMMERCIAL LARGE LOSS PROGRAM
- Best of our best, SERVPRO's Large Loss Response Team recruited to serve your needs
- Elite group of large loss specialists pre-qualified and strategically positions throughout the US (approx. 110)
- Substantial resources through network of 1,800+ locations nationwide
- Six and seven-figure projects routinely assigned to our Large Loss Response Team members
- Clients include: Insurance Companies, Manufacturing Facilities, Hospitality Industry, Restaurants, Property Managers, Universities, Health Care Facilities, Libraries, Churches, Municipalities, Local, State and Federal Government
- Corporate oversight and communication on every large loss filed
- Business interruption minimized due to our timely response
Prepare. Plan. Build.
Educating yourself, your family and your employees is important. Below we are sharing great resources from Ready.Gov to help better prepare all your stakeholders. Know that SERVPRO of Lompoc Storm Team is also prepared to help, day or night, should you encounter water damage.
- MAKE A PLAN - Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to know which types of disasters could affect your area. Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated. Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.
- PREPARE TOGETHER - Whether you’re a kid or teen yourself, a parent or loved one, or work with youth, Ready Kids has tools and information to help before, during and after disasters.
- BUILD A KIT - After an emergency, you may need to survive on your own for several days. Being prepared means having your own food, water and supplies to last for several days. A disaster supplies kit is a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency.
- CLEANUP - When you are dealing with storm, flood, and water damage, immediate action is crucial. You should choose the company with storm damage experience and expertise that has the resources and equipment to handle the job. SERVPRO of Lompoc can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions.
Storm Prep: Build a Disaster Supply Kit
When it comes to combating oncoming storms, the best offense is a good defense. In other words, being prepared for storm damage is of the utmost importance. Whether it be a snow, ice, rain or windstorm, having a plan in place and a disaster supply kit assembled, will have you one step ahead when they strike. Here are a few recommendations for your Disaster Supply Kit:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for a minimum of 3 days)
- Food (no less than a three-day supply)
- Battery powered radio
- First aid kit
- Additional batteries
- Cell phone with chargers/battery backup
- Pet food (if there are pets in the household)
- fire extinguisher
- Change of clothing for the appropriate weather and sturdy shoes
- Matches (preferably in a waterproof container)
- Writing utensil and paper
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Paper towels, plates, cups, and plastic eating utensils.
Other tasks that should be kept in mind prior to a storm:
- Fill your vehicle's gas tank
- Check your vehicle's tires
- Have cash on hand
- Charge your phone
- Plan alternate evacuation routes if necessary
- Gather important documents in a waterproof bag
- Have an extra set of keys
- Move your valuables to the highest level of the home
These are but a few items and tasks that can help you better be prepared when a storm is on its way. Of course, safety is of the utmost importance and should be your top priority. If your home or commercial property experiences fire, water, smoke or mold relating from storm damage, be sure to contact SERVPRO of Lompoc and we'll be there to assist you. Always here to help!
Preparing For An Unexpected Hailstorm
Hailstorms can happen year-round and can vary greatly in severity. Hail can be anywhere from .2 inches to 6 inches in size and weigh more than 1 pound. Annually, hailstorms cause close to $1 billion in damages mainly to roofs and cars. While hailstorms are not easily predicted, there are a few ways to prepare for them to lessen future damage. The first thing to check is your roof. You will want to look for any missing or worn shingles and get those replaced. If you know hail is on the way, try and get your car to the garage or a covered area if possible. Hail can be the bigger than a baseball and can fall from the sky up to 100 mph, yikes! During a hailstorm, you will want to stay inside and avoid skylights or any other glass windows/doors in your home. If you haven’t yet, check with your insurance carrier to see what is covered on your current policy and consider adding hail damage.
Be Ready: Storm Damage
Severe weather can happen anytime.
Storm Damage includes hazardous conditions produced by thunderstorms, strong winds, large hail, & flooding.
Know your risk:
Thunderstorms & Lightning
Develop an emergency plan based on your local weather hazards and practice your plan.
- Make a family emergency plan
- Be informed about emergency alerts
What can you do when your Lompoc, CA home suffers water damage?
If your home or business suffers damage from a storm, know who to call to quickly get help.
When you are dealing with storm, flood, and water damage, immediate action is crucial. You should choose the company with storm damage experience and expertise that has the resources and equipment to handle the job.
SERVPRO of Lompoc responds immediately to your flood and storm damage emergencies. We have the storm damage restoration experience and specialized equipment to restore your home or business back to pre-storm condition. SERVPRO of Lompoc can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Our training program includes the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
SERVPRO of Lompoc is locally owned and operated ready to respond to any of your storm damage incidents.
Generators can be very helpful to have on hand in the event of a power outage during severe weather. Follow these steps from the American Red Cross to ensure safe handling of your generator:
- To avoid electrocution, keep your generator dry and do not use in wet conditions (i.e. a flood). Have it running on a dry, flat surface under a shelter such as a canopy-like structure (i.e. a tarp supported by poles). Do not touch the generator if your hands are wet.
- Never run a generator inside your home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. The same goes for grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices.
- Using fans or opening your doors and windows won’t prevent carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in your home. CO can’t be smelled or seen so it is critical when running a generator to use caution to prevent exposure. If you start to feel sick, weak or dizzy while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.
- Install CO alarms on every level in your home in central locations and outside sleeping areas. These will provide early warnings of rising CO levels.
Being prepared for a Storm and Flood.
Sometimes a storm can bring some serious water damage, even a flood. Are you prepared for a flood? Most people aren’t, so here are a few tips to be storm and flood ready!
- Water (A 3+ day supply; one gallon per person per day.)
- Food (3+ day supply of non-perishable, easy-to-prepare food.)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Medications (7 – day supply) and medical items (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, cane)
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation/personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact info
- Extra Cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Pet supplies
- Tools/supplies for securing your home
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
- Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Camera for photos of any damage
Learn about ERP
No matter where you live, it is important to be informed and prepared for any natural disaster that may occur. Natural disasters often strike without warning, leaving behind a trail of destruction and devastation. Though Mother Nature's disasters are often unpredictable, there are steps you can take to ensure you are prepared.
Contact SERVPRO of Lompoc to establish an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for your property. SERVPRO's ERP serves as a quick reference document, detailing important building and contact information for your property in the event of an emergency. The ERP is an ideal supplement to any existing preparedness plan, or may be used as a standalone document. Knowing what to do and who to call in advance is the key to timely mitigation, and can minimize the effects of any weather-related disaster, water, or fire damage to your business.
When disaster strikes, make sure you have experienced professionals on the line. No matter how big or small, SERVPRO of Lompoc will be ready to help make your property damage "Like it never even happened."
We Are Available 24/7 In Lompoc After A Flood
When many Lompoc homeowners think of flooding scenarios, it is often a rushing wall of water pouring in from the rising creeks and streams throughout our service areas. As much of a possibility as this natural flooding might be, there are other more pressing concerns for your home this winter that could threaten your property without flooding out the entire neighborhood as well. Understanding a few of these risks and what you can do about them can save your property from excessive, costly damages.
While in some situations, flood damage to Lompoc homes cannot get avoided, there are precautionary measures that can get taken when you recognize areas where your property lacks the appropriate protection. With the high volume of water loss incidents and flooding situations our SERVPRO team gets asked to restore and recover every winter, it is evident that homeowners are not as prepared as they might believe for the harsh conditions of the season.
The insulation of various areas of your home can be a direct point of concern during the winter months. Not only can poor insulation result in higher heating expenses, but it can leave exposed pipes of your plumbing more susceptible to freezing. This solidification is even more possible when the water flow has stopped overnight, and temperatures drop well below freezing. The expansion of water freezing in the pipes can cause vulnerable areas to burst, allowing water to flow from the broken pipes until you reach the shutoff valve.
Ice dams can also get tracked directly to poor insulation of the attic floor in your home and underneath the roof. When areas of the roof get warmed during bitter temperatures outside, melting snow can freeze along the eaves of the roof and continue to build on itself. As it moves back up the roof, it can force itself underneath shingles and remove them, leaving vulnerable areas for snow melt to penetrate the attic space.
Our SERVPRO professionals can appreciate the severity of both of these situations, as they both require varying forms of extraction and drying to start immediately. In addition to the water loss and flood damage recovery that our team can begin, we also have a team of in-house contractors to address the rebuilding of damaged roofs and the repair of burst plumbing to make these conditions “Like it never even happened.”
When Storms or Floods hit Santa Barbara County SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of Lompoc specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Santa Barbara County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 805-733-8911